A creamy, smokey twist to lentil soup!
1. Using an 8-quart soup/stock pot, bring rinsed lentils and 4 cups cold water to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 40 minutes, or until softened.
2. Cut onion into quarters and slice each quarter about 1/8″ thick to make strips of onion, or cut whole onion into thin slices if you want larger pieces of onion.
3. Chop sun-dried tomatoes into small chunks.
4. Mince garlic
5. Add onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, paprika and salt.
6. Add enough additional water to cover all and bring to a simmer.
7. Cook 20 minutes, covered, over low heat.
8. Add 1/2 cup Hickory Cheddar Spread and stir to dissolve.
9. Taste and adjust for salt, if desired.
10. Serve hot with whole grain bread or crackers for a healthy meal!
This makes a hearty, smokey lentil soup. The smokey flavor can be lessened by using regular sweet paprika instead of the smoked kind, and it can be kicked up a notch by serving the lentils with WayFare Pig Out Whole Grain Bacony Bits sprinkled on top just before serving. These little smokey bits add a crunchy contrast to the lentils.